Full Details for Lot 655
Sale DEC09A Lot 655
Late Victorian/early 20th century gilt brass engraved eight day strut clock with calendars by Vasel London in style of Thomas Cole The case profusely engraved with scrolling foliage all over, pivoted handle, with fixed winding key and pivoted strut to the rear, shuttered fast/slow and calendar regulation apertures. The silvered dial has floral engraving, and subsidiary dials for day and date. The Swiss movement marked Doxa. The clock marked internally "W Vasel London"
7" high; 5" wide; 1.25" deep
An important Victorian maker, Vasel is recorded working at several addresses in London from 1886-1907.
Strut clocks were first designed and popularised by the great Victorian carriage clockmaker Thomas Cole (1800-1864) and derive their name from their rear pivoted strut support. Cole first conceived the idea in the mid 19th century and these clocks were the mainstay of his business until his death in 1864. They gained their popularity from their flatness, or thinness, as they were more portable than the square bulk of traditional carriage clocks.
Although with slight variations a very similar clock was sold at Christies on 20th November 2009 lot 6. Another was sold again at Christies, 14 June 2000, lot 4.
This clock was the property of H J Morgan who resided in Montague Square, LONDON W1, and moved to Godalming in Surrey a few years before his death. It is sent in for sale by a member of his family who inherited it.
H J Morgan was the co-founder & owner of 'The Steering Wheel Club' in London's Mayfair. He was;
Vice-President British Automobile Racing Club (B.A.R.C.),
Hon. Secretary British Motor Racing Circuit Owners Association 1962-1979
Life Hon. Member British Racing Drivers' Club (B.R.D.C.)
Secretary of the Order of The Road 1946-1979, then Director & Hon. Treasurer 1979-1990.
Vice-President & Life Hon. Member Guild of Motoring Writers
Life Hon. Member Brooklands Society
H J Morgan joined the staff of the Junior Car Club in 1925, becoming Assist. Secretary in 1934, General Secretary 1937-1962, Council Member 1962-1972, & Vice-President 1972-1990. The Junior Car Club subsequently became the British Automobile Racing Club, (B.A.R.C.)
He was Clerk of The Course, Brooklands Motor-Racing Circuit 1937-1939 Major undertakings included assisting in the organisation of the 200 Mile Races 1925-1928; Double Twelve Hour Races 1929-1931; the 1000 Miles Race 1932; International Trophy Races 1933-1939; the organisation of early B.R.D.C. 500 Miles Races and Empire Trophy Races, he was also an official at most of the main B.A.R.C. events until it's closure in 1939. Clerk of The Course at all J.C.C. meetings (Brooklands Rally, High Speed Trial etc.) 1937-1939.
Donington Park; Race Organiser and Clerk of The Course at post 1937 J.C.C. events, and an Official at main Donington pre-war car racing events.
Race Organiser and Clerk of The Course at Crystal Palace for the 1st Post-War meeting 1953, and subsequent B.A.R.C. events.
Race Organiser and Clerk of The Course at Goodwood Motor-Racing Circuit for Bank Holiday events, the Nine-Hours Race, R.A.C. Tourist Trophy Race and other major International Races.
Race Organiser and Clerk of The Course at Aintree Motor-Racing Circuit for the British Grand Prix held there in 1955, 1957, 1959, 1961 & 1962.
Estimate £ 3,000-5,000
Small chips to edges/corners of glass. One screw missing from back plate.
Sold for £2500
You must log in to view condition reports. If you do not have a log in for our site, please register.
© Ewbank's. Images, descriptions and condition reports used on this site are original copyright material and are not to be reproduced without permission. For further information telephone 01483 223101